Occupational Tax/Business License
Occupational tax certificates must be renewed by December 31st of each year.
- Phone: (678) 833-3302
- For a Federal ID# please call the Internal Revenue Service at 1 (800) 829-4477
- For Sales Tax ID# please call the Georgia Department of Revenue at (404) 968-0480
- Secretary of State - (404) 656-2881 or http://www.sos.state.ga.us
- Small Business Association - http://www.sba.gov
If you are operating a business within the city limits of Stockbridge, you are required to obtain an occupational tax certificate. This also applies to home occupations. All applicants are required to pay a $75.00 administrative fee. All occupational tax certificates are based on gross receipts with the exception of professionals. Professional practitioners have the option of paying based on gross receipts or flat rate of $250 per professional. All alcohol licenses must be paid by December 31 of each year to be able to operate.
Commercially located businesses can download the application and instructions here.
Home based businesses can download the application and instructions here.
Paperwork should be submitted by applicant or representative in person, please do not mail or fax.
NOTE: The business cannot open or begin operation until you have received your PAID Occupational Tax Certificate. Once received, the current year’s PAID Certificate must be posted in plain view of the public.
CHECK LIST FOR SUBMITTING APPLICATION:
- Complete, sign and date application
- Photo ID (driver’s license) of the owner
- Proof of residence for the owner
- Signed copy of lease agreement or proof of ownership for building or home
- Copy of Certificate and Articles of Incorporation
- Copy of Certificate of Occupancy
- State/Federal license or registration- if required
- Food service permit- if required
- Approval from home owner’s association- if required
All paperwork must be submitted before scheduling the fire and building inspections. Both inspections must be approved and a certificate of occupancy obtained before an occupational tax certificate will be issued. Information regarding the Fire Prevention Policy can be downloaded from this website. To contact the Henry County Building Department (commercial inspections) call 770-898-7472.
FOR HOME OCCUPATIONS:
Persons applying for a Home Occupation Occupational Tax Certificate in an apartment complex must attach a letter of consent from the apartment manager on letterhead. Those renting from an individual must attach a notarized letter of consent from the property owner. Property owners must submit a notarized letter of consent from the homeowners association (HOA). Those residents that do not have a homeowners association (HOA) must submit a notarized letter stating such.